Aquarius 2005: Ages of Aquarius-Pisces: Occult and Mystical.
“Water of life am I, poured forth for those who thirst.”
Ages of Aquarius-Pisces: Occult and Mystical Approaches
Aquarius is the sign of the greater precession cycle we are astronomically entering. The sign of the Water-Bearer, the server of humanity is profound, ruled at one level by Uranus, Hierophant of the Mysteries, and at a higher level by Jupiter, planet of Love-Wisdom.
As we enter this 2,160 year Aquarian cycle it is worth bearing in mind that it is coinciding with a 25,000 year cycle of Aquarius on the ‘greater wheel’, hence increasing its potency. Added to this is the fact that a cycle of the seventh ray of Ceremonial Order or Magic, also ruled by Uranus, is coinciding with the above cycles. This has occurred only six times since the inception of this, our Fifth Rootrace – which is now about 1,000,000 years old, a stupendous figure even for esoteric students to comprehend.
The combined activity of these forces will help manifest what is known as the “light supernal” upon the seventh plane, the physical plane. This type of event always occurs at a major point of planetary crisis when there is a coincidence of a seventh ray cycle and Aquarius. The ‘light supernal’ can only be really investigated with the aid of occult knowledge combined with meditation and it is not the purpose of this essay to explore that, rather to look at the two areas of mysticism and occultism.
The Piscean Age that we are just leaving was the age of the mystic, the one who through a deeply sensed vision of the soul life or of God, and who through devotion to the guru or teacher and high idealism, glimpses somewhat beyond the veil surrounding the mysteries. The mystic is one who cannot necessarily explain how or why this vision occurs but knows with deep conviction what he or she feels and has been inspired by.
The occultist of the coming Aquarian Age can through occult knowledge gain an understanding of the mystical experience. The mystic works through the heart chakra and the occultist through the crown chakra. Both streams of development are needed in the rounded-out life of the aspirant or disciple to the mysteries. The way of the mystic precedes the way of the occultist as the heart energies must be safely anchored, whilst the occultist works with the mind on a higher turn of the evolutionary spiral:
Uranus – Occult consciousness or that intelligent, fusing condition which produces the scientific at-one-ment of the two factors, higher and lower self, through the intelligent use of the mind.
Neptune -Mystical consciousness or that innate sensitivity which leads unerringly to the higher vision, to the recognition of the inter-relation involved in man’s essential duality during the process of manifestation, plus the activity of the mediator.
You have, therefore, the conscious, integrated Self, functioning with full occult knowledge and also with mystical perception… ” 
This quote is from the section in Esoteric Astrology on Leo, the polar opposite to Aquarius, and a sign already much invoked in this unfolding Aquarian precession cycle; just as Virgo was invoked as the polar opposite to the Age of Pisces that is almost finished.
As we move in to the ‘new age’ there are many ‘new agers’ who demonstrate mystical consciousness and a few of those are serious occult students. Many study forms of ‘pseudo-occultism’ which may be taken from an originally sound treatise on occultism, then distorted, re-interpreted or mis-interpreted; or it might be some totally off the wall, ‘original’ idea. This is all ‘grist for the mill’ for the soul’s evolution – particularly between the first and second initiations – in developing a discriminating mind and a loving heart.
The majority of this overtly ‘new age’ group seem to be upon the second ray of Love-Wisdom, the healing and teaching ray – which also happens to be the majority of souls upon the planet; interests are mainly in the area of physical and etheric healing, channelings – from the very bad to the mediocre, UFO’s, psychism of mostly the lower kind, conspiracy theory etc.
There is no denying that any of the above subjects are useful and indeed ‘true’, yet it is sometimes the way that they are approached which can create much glamour and illusion around them; most of us are associated with this group to some degree.
Many have not reached the stage of the true mystic and alot have certainly ‘reversed the wheel’ and awakened to the nature of the soul. (It is said that there can be as many as thirty or so lives between the first and second initiations) Herein lies the problem and constitutes what some term ‘the shadow of the new age’. If something has been mystically sensed but incorrectly or wrongly interpreted, it may occur through several factors:
a) Unquestioning and indiscriminate acceptance of information.
b) Mixing several theories, creating a personal ‘reality’ structure.
c) Addiction to sensational information that over-stimulates the astral body.
d) Mental laziness and inertia because of a physical or astral polarisation.
e) Lack of discrimination and a need to feed the astral nature.
f) Insufficient development of the mental body.
g) Lack of any sound occult training or foundational philosophical structure – a most critical point of importance.
h) Misinterpretation of occult teachings through the lens of the desire body.
i) Selfish pre-occupation with physical health & fitness, hindering service.
j) Pre-occupation with one’s ‘process’ hindering the ability to truly serve.
k) A strong lower-mental attachment to ideas that creates a powerful desire-mind and crystallised, entrenched viewpoints.
l) Over-polarisation as a mystic.
m) Use of drugs and alchohol that keep the solar plexus chakra over-stimulated – consolidating the personality’s lower will.
None of us are totally immune to the above factors, mystics and so-called occultists alike! According to the Master Djwhal Khul, in the Age of Aquarius students (male and female) of esotericism will have to grasp that:
“1. He/she is an aggregation of forces, inherited and conditioned by what he has been, plus a great antagonistic force which is not a principle and which we call the physical body.
2. He/she is sensitive to and should be increasingly aware of certain energies, at present unknown and of no use to him; of these he must eventually become aware, if he is to move deeper into the world of hidden forces. They may be energies which, for him, would be evil were he to work with them, and these must be distinguished and discarded; there are others which he must learn to use, for they would prove beneficial and would increase his knowledge, and should therefore be regarded as good. Bear in mind, however, that energies per se are neither bad nor good….
The esotericist in training has, therefore:
1. To become aware of the nature of the forces which constitute his personality equipment and which he himself magnetically brought into expression in the three worlds. They form a combination of active forces; he must learn to differentiate between strictly physical energy, which is automatic in its response to other and inner energies, and those which come from emotional and mental levels of consciousness, focussing through the etheric body which, in turn, motivates and galvanises his physical vehicle into certain activities.
2. To become sensitive to the impelling energies of the soul, emanating from the higher mental levels. These seek to control the forces of the threefold man when a certain definite point in evolution is reached.
3. To recognise the conditioning energies in his environment, seeing them not as events or circumstances but as energy in action; by this means he learns to find his way behind the scene of outer happenings into the world of energies, seeking contact and qualifying for the bringing about of certain activities. He thus acquires entrance into the world of meaning. Events, circumstances, happenings and physical phenomena of every kind are simply symbols of what is occurring in the inner worlds, and it is into these worlds that the esotericist must enter as far as his perception permits; he will sequentially discover worlds which will call for his scientific penetration.” 
The budding Aquarian worker should be aware that there are primarily three main groups as we enter the new age: The True Aquarians, the ‘straight Pisceans’ and the Pisceans who are responding in some measure to the Aquarian forces:
“1. Those, few and far between, who are true Aquarians. These work under real difficulties, for their vision is beyond the grasp of the majority, and they meet often lack of understanding, frequent disappointment in their fellow workers, and much loneliness.
2. Those who are straight Pisceans. These work with much greater facility and find a more rapid response from those around them. Their work is more doctrinal, less inclusive and coloured by the spirit of separation. They include the mass of world workers in all the various departments of human thought and welfare.
3. Those Pisceans who are enough developed to respond to the Aquarian message, but who – as yet – cannot trust themselves to employ the real Aquarian methods of work and message.
For instance, they have in the political field, a sense of internationalism, but they cannot apply it when it comes to the understanding of others. They think they have a universal consciousness, but when it comes to a test, they discriminate and eliminate. They constitute a much smaller group than the true Pisceans and are doing good work and filling a much needed place. The problem they present however to the Aquarian worker lies in the fact that though they respond to the ideal and regard themselves as of the new age, they are not truly so. They see a bit of the vision and have grasped the theory but cannot express it in action.
Thus we have these three groups doing much needed work and reaching through their united undertakings the mass of people and fulfilling thus their dharma. One group works necessarily under the glamour of public opinion.
The intermediate group has a most difficult task to perform, for where there is no clear vision the voice of their chosen environment and the voice of the inner group of world Knowers are often in conflict and they are pulled hither and thither as they respond first to one and then to the other.
The group of those who respond more fully to the incoming Aquarian vibration register the voices of the leaders of the other two groups, but the voice of the guiding Masters and the voice of the group of world Masters serve to guide them unerringly forward.” 
Can you identify what group you are in? The group you are in may not necessarily be where your field of service lies. Obviously as time unfolds the Aquarian group will wax in strength and it is sobering to note DK’s appraisal that this group is very small at this stage.
© 2005 Phillip Lindsay.
Other Aquarius newsletters