Mercury in Scorpio (Part I) The Deep Sea Diver (Oct 1, 2013)
Transiting Mercury has just entered Scorpio and will there for a couple of months, due to its retrograde and direct motion. This is a time for deep reflection and probing the depths of one’s own unconscious, for psychological healing.
Mercury in Scorpio can be likened to the deep sea diver in the old-fashioned diving helmet, who works alone upon the ocean floor, a long way from the surface. The oxygen hose that reaches to the surface is the lifeline, the umbilical cord, or the antahkarana – or bridge of consciousness from the world below to the world above.
The diver is a rich metaphor for exploring the hidden-most depths of one’s being whether it is in the emotional body (Scorpio-water), the psyche (soul) or the shadow nature. Hence this period is an opportunity for psychotherapy – confronting and healing what lurks in the hidden areas of consciousness. Mercury in Scorpio can bring confrontational incidents into one’s life, such as:
1. Attracting others who bring an awareness of unconscious issues and drives.
2. Power struggles with others or within oneself – psychologically, psychically or even physically.
3. Boundary and control issues. Fear and paranoia. Deception.
4. The misuse of speech – Mercury in Scorpio can be devastatingly destructive in communication.
5. Exposing hidden motives in oneself and others.
These few points can arise for the following reasons:
1. Mercury is the ruler of the fourth ray of Harmony through Conflict (also the ray of Art and Beauty).
2. The fourth ray is the only ray passing through Scorpio, ruled by Mars the god of war and Pluto, Lord of the Underworld. It is the ray that rules over Humanity in general.
3. In Esoteric Astrology, Mercury is the ‘hierarchical ruler’ of Scorpio, whose, …”true significance will not be understood until the consciousness of individual … is planetary in its scope and grasp …”(EA359).
Mercury in Scorpio has many talents:
1. An ability for probing the arcane, the esoteric, that which is hidden.
2. A knack for seeing through deception, ‘x-ray vision’.
3. A tough and shrewd negotiator.
4. An in-depth counsellor.
5. A very persuasive communicator, an orator.
Mercury in Scorpio (Part II) US Shutdown
Trickster Mercury has his fingerprints all over the latest debacle in the USA, continuing its influence as late as November 26. The following Mercurial events have occurred:
1. The day of the US Shutdown (October 1), was the start of the “pre-shadow” or slow-down phase before Mercury turns retrograde proper on October 21.
2. In the USA horoscope on October 1, transiting Mercury was conjunct progressed Saturn at 3 Scorpio. The restraining influence of Saturn upon Mercury is a bit like Mercury retrograde anyway, and Saturn rules the USA’s second house of money.
3. In The Republican’s horoscope, progressed Mercury at 3 Leo is exactly square to Mercury-Saturn in the USA chart.
4. The core retrograde period will be from October 21 to November 7, where it resumes direct motion – at virtually the same degree it started the pre-shadow phase – at 3 Scorpio.
5. The post-shadow phase lasts until November 26, indicating an ‘at latest’ date for resolution.